Monday, December 9, 2013

Trust

trust - belief that someone or something is reliable, good, honest, and effective

“The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in
whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.”
Psalm 18:2

Joseph had to trust Mary and the angel that Jesus is the child of the Lord.

The angel’s message to Joseph was difficult.  After all he was planning to divorce Mary quietly.  How could what she believed about this baby be true?  Joseph must have been hurt… feeling betrayed… wondering if he could trust anyone in his world.

But now the angel had appeared and given the message.  What Mary said about her baby was true.  Joseph’s trust in her renewed.  Still, this was a hard thing.  No one would believe this story… angel’s appearing giving messages… a virgin pregnant with the Messiah.  It must have been wonderful and terrifying all at the same time.  Mary and Joseph would have to muster up all their courage to trust God in this.

Joseph and Mary were a lot like us.  And I wonder as the years passed did the message of the angels become cloudy at times.  Did they have to remind themselves exactly what happened at Jesus’ birth when he was four or fourteen, even twenty?  I am sure there were times when trusting seemed more difficult.

The message of Advent is clear.  It is the season we prepare for the coming of Christ.  And yet we can get so caught up in the hustle and bustle… the parties and presents that the message of Jesus gets crowded out.

May we use this time to remember the child born in a manger.   A baby who would save the world.  Someone we can put our trust in and never be disappointed.

Merry Christmas,
Terunda Montgomery
with Stacy Boyer

No comments:

Post a Comment