Thursday, December 12, 2013

Love

Webster’s dictionary gives several definitions of love but one of my favorites was this one:  
unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as the fatherly concern of God for humankind; brotherly concern for others; a person's adoration of God 
Read 1 Corinthians 13 The Gift of Love


 And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three, and the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13: 13

Love comes in many different forms.  The scripture above, 1 Corinthians 13, was read at mine and Glenn’s wedding 37 years ago.  I still remember the love I felt surrounding me during that special time as friends and family gathered to celebrate our commitment to each other in the sanctuary of the old church.  We were very young and there were probably many who did not think our marriage would last long.  But through hard times and wonderful times, God’s love has seen us through, along with our love for each other.

When our children were born and later our grandchildren along with many nieces and a few nephews, love came again in another form.  They bring joy to our life and are a constant reminder of how great our love is for one another in a relationship called family.  As our family grows, so does the love.

God’s gift in my life as a teacher and counselor has been to extend the love that I have known through my faith and my family to many others throughout the years.  I have been fortunate to be able to share my love with many children and their children and now even their grandchildren.  What a wonderful gift!

Yet in all of my life as I write this advent devotional, I can say that the greatest love of all is the gift of God’s son, Jesus Christ, and the love he brought to those on earth.  One of my favorite hymns, #242, says it best:
“Love came down at Christmas, Love all lovely, Love divine, Love was born at Christmas; star and angels gave the sign.
Worship we the Godhead, Love incarnate, Love divine, worship we our Jesus, but where-with for sacred sign?
Love shall be our token; love be yours and love be mine; love to God and all men, love for plea and gift and sign.”
Love to all of you during this Advent season and throughout the rest of the year

Di

No comments:

Post a Comment