Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Today

today - adverb: 1 on or for this day 2  at the present time 
noun: the present day, time, or age

My word is: Today.  When God put this word in my heart and head I immediately began singing, “This is the day that the Lord has made….” I know three different versions of that song and all three started popping up in my head!  “This is the day that the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it!” (Psalm 118:24).  Will I let God use me today or will I look back with regret at missed opportunities that will probably never present themselves again?

In preparation of writing this devotional, I read Luke’s account of Jesus’ birth to see how my word: Today, might have relevance.  I was struck by the story of the shepherds.  Boy, did they seize the day!  In spite of their fear and uncertainty their response was – “Let’s go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that the Lord has made known to us.  When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child” (Luke 2: 15, 17).  The most important part of this story is the shepherds’ response.  They acted  immediately and they shared with others.

How will God use you during this season of Advent?  The Affirmation Station is stocked full of Christmas cards waiting to bless someone’s heart.  Many lonely people are waiting to be cheered by the gift of your smile. Be open and responsive to the nudges of your heart and let God use you TODAY.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Jerri Lykins


No comments:

Post a Comment