Monday, December 23, 2013

Persevere

persevere – to continue doing something or
 trying to do something even though it is difficult

I press on toward the goal to win the prize 
for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus
Philippians 3:14

Growing up (though I am definitely not finished growing up yet) as a Foster means: No matter what, never give up and continue to persevere through the pain and the hardships that are no doubt trying to bring you down. Whether it was finishing a soccer season or if it was achieving the rank of Eagle Scout I was taught to see it through.

In the nativity story we see Mary and Joseph taking the trek to Bethlehem with Joseph on foot and Mary on a donkey. It took perseverance and dedication to take this very long trek. Today, could we put a pregnant woman on a donkey with her betrothed and walk for 33 hours (if we walked it straight without stops for food, water, bathroom breaks, and rest)? Would we be considered sane?

But we all have our journey to Bethlehem mine recently being my road to achieving my Eagle Scout. It took me 12 years from the time I was a Tiger Scout in 2001 at the age of 6 to 2013 and the age of 18. There were several times that I wanted to hang up my Scout shirt and call it done. But as a Foster and after hearing about Mary and Joseph’s trek to Bethlehem I knew I couldn’t quit till I crossed the finished line.

If you come upon hard times during this Advent season, or at any point in your life, remember the story of Mary and Joseph’s trek to Bethlehem. And persevere!

Patrick Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment