Friday, July 14, 2017

Songs of Praise: Psalm 55-56

Psalm 55-56
Click the reference above to read on BibleGateway.com.

Have you been in a bookstore lately? If you have, have you noticed how many books are on the subject of peace? Or to rephrase: How to escape without actually leaving the premises.

Yep. There is a lot of angst in our lives. People want stuff from us and we want stuff for ourselves. I’m not talking about possessions but time, attention, security, safety, kindness, compassion... the list goes on. It’s easy to become overwhelmed, which, to be truthful, makes escape look pretty appealing.

Oh, that I had wings like a dove then I would fly away and rest!
Psalm 55:6 NLT

We hear David's desire to fly away, Oh if only I were a dove, I could fly away and REST! I could escape this wild storm of hatred. 

But, he knew flying away was a pipe dream and instead set his sight on the one true source of salvation: God. David's reliance on God won out. He asked God for help knowing he was helpless on his own to change the hearts of his enemies, especially a close friend who betrayed him.

So what does it mean for us on a day when we want to escape to the beach, take a book and leave our cell phones behind along with all those people and troubles?

Basically this, it’s OK to dream but, the reality is we need to give it to God. Go to him for wise counsel and comfort. Know these times of trial will pass. Trust, in all things, God is in control.

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
Matthew 11:28-30

Lord, I am so grateful, that in times when I am ready to throw in the towel and just give up, I can turn to You for peace in my soul, knowing that following You is my deepest desire and I will trust You to help me through any situation. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment