Monday, April 24, 2017

In the Wilderness: Exodus 21:1-32

God gives specific laws for servants and personal injuries in Exodus 21:1-32. (Click on the link to read the Scripture.)

Twice I see the word in our reading for today:

If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed.
Exodus 21:8

 However, if payment is demanded, the owner may redeem his life by the payment of whatever is demanded. 
Exodus 21:30

According to Merriam-Webster's redeem means to buy back, to get or win back, to free from what distresses or harms, to free from captivity by payment of ransom, to extricate from or help to overcome something detrimental, to release from blame or debt,  to free from the consequences of sin.

God made a way through the law for the redemption of others. This was the way of the Old Covenant. Do you see it? The Good News written in the very definition of the word redeem.

Under the New Covenant, one man made a way for redemption. He was the total fulfillment of the old law. His sacrifice made a way for us to return, paid the ransom we owed, overcame the detriment of our sinful condition, released us from debt and freed us from the consequences of sin.

Have you heard the Good News? Have you shared it with a friend?

Sing it loud:

I know He rescued my soul. His blood covered my sin. I believe... I believe. My shame is taken away. My pain is healed in His name. I believe... I believe. I'll raise the banner. My Lord has conquered the grave. 

My Redeemer live... my Redeemer lives... my Redeemer lives. HE LIVES!

Lord, thank You, for the great news of redemption. For making a way for all to be redeemed by faith in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment