Wednesday, April 19, 2017

In the Wilderness: Exodus 18

A happy reunion occurs in Exodus 18. (Click on the link to read about it.)

Moses did not have the support of his wife or comfort of his children during the escape from Egypt. He sent them back to his father-in-law Jethro for their safety. Remember there were no phones, no ways of simple communication. When Jethro heard of the great things God had done for Moses and the people, he sent word to Moses: "We're coming!"

What a sweet moment of reunion for Moses. Imagine how he embraced his wife... kissed his sons... Like most reunions, Moses and Jethro shared their lives, the daily happenings, how things were going. They broke bread together, and when Jethro heard all the things God did for the Israelites, he was moved to sacrifice and praise.

Jethro hangs out with Moses and watches him work. He sees something Moses doesn't or maybe can't at this point.

When Moses' father-in-law saw all that he was doing for the people, he said, “What is this that you are doing for the people? Why do you sit alone, and all the people stand around you from morning till evening?”  And Moses said to his father-in-law, “Because the people come to me to inquire of God; when they have a dispute, they come to me and I decide between one person and another, and I make them know the statutes of God and his laws.”  Moses' father-in-law said to him, “What you are doing is not good.  You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone.
Exodus 18:14-18

Moses needed a new perspective. Don't we all at times? Sometimes, we get so bogged down in the leading and the doing, it takes the wisdom of someone looking in to show the way. Moses revealed great leadership when he took his father-in-law's advice. Because he could have pushed it aside thinking pridefully no one else was capable of leading or would lead the way he wanted. He might have had an "I can do it myself" mentality. He could have been a control freak. But he wasn't.

So Moses listened to the voice of his father-in-law and did all that he had said.
Exodus 18:24

I've watched a loved one struggle lately with his unwillingness to follow the wisdom of others. His refusal to ask for help. I've been there myself a time or two.

What about you? How willing are you to accept someone's perspective and think about it? Do you tend to want to control all things in your realm? Are you offended when someone offers a better way? Has pride leaked into the way you lead at home, work, or in your community?

Maybe it is time to seek God and be willing to see with new perspective.

Father God, open my eyes to the places I'm allowing pride to wear me out.
Open my heart to receive help and wise counsel.
You made us to walk with You and those You provide to help.
Bless me with the faith to trust You in bringing the right people into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment