Thursday, April 6, 2017

In the Wilderness: Exodus 10:1-20

A plague of locusts descends in Exodus 10:1-20. (Click on the link to read the verses.)

Back and forth... back and forth. Moses pleads for freedom to worship. Pharaoh denies his request and the next plague begins. You can see Pharaoh beginning to waver. He listened to his advisers and gave Moses partial permission to go.

And he said to them, “Go, serve the Lord your God. But which ones are to go?"
Exodus 10:8

Many times in my life I've been like Pharaoh. I've felt the gentle nudge of the Spirit leading me to do something. Back and forth I go. Thinking through all the scenarios, wondering is this really the Lord. I'll admit, there are times I've done some of what God calls me to do, stopping when I get uncomfortable or fearful. I've been half-obedient which is not much obedience at all.

Moses and Aaron didn't waver. They listened to God followed through in obedience. They were equipped. Each one using the gift God gave them to do what God called them to do. Oh, how I want to be like them. Unwavering... determined... faithful.

Paul reminds the Ephesians when we use our gifts to build up the Body of Christ, when we teach, shepherd, and equip each other, then we become mature. No longer are we like children moving back and forth.
  ...until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 
Ephesians 4:10-14
Is there something you are wavering on lately? Some circumstance where you find obedience difficult?

Why not turn to someone you know, someone whose faith you find encouraging? Maybe discuss your wavering with a preacher or teacher in the church. We are not called to walk alone, but to lean on each other just like Moses and Aaron did. Ask God to make a way for you to talk to someone, and then do it. Be open, be honest, and when the discussion is over, seek God's counsel. Pray His truth will reign in you, and you will become mature in Him.

Lord, grow me up spiritually, so I may be fully mature and unwavering in my obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment