Monday, April 10, 2017

In the Wilderness: Exodus 12:1-28

The final plague is found in Exodus 12:1-28. (Click on the link to read the verses.)

I recently read a fiction novel based on the life of Aaron. As the author writes about this moment, I was taken by surprise by the emotion she described. Imagine for a moment, following each step God had given the people.

Consider the waiting, fully dressed, sandals on your feet. Imagine your family hunkered down as death passes over the door.

And then the screams begin. Egyptians discovering their first born sons dead. Oh the wailing, the agony... the sorrow...

In just a few days we too will experience a Passover of sorts. Death will come to the Lamb of God. His blood covering the doors of our hearts, so that we might live.
From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).

When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling Elijah.”
 Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink.  The rest said, “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.”
And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.            Matthew 27:45-50 
Oh, the sorrow... the suffering He endured for you and me. Jesus completed the final Passover when He said, "It is finished." And it is you know. Because of Him death has no power over us, sin cannot hold us down, our chains have been broken. I sing His praise.

Oh Lamb of God, sweet Lamb of God. I love the holy Lamb of God. O wash me in your precious blood. My Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.
 (Want to hear the song Lamb of God? Click here.)

Father God, thank You for making a Way for death to pass over me.
Jesus, thank You for Your great love and faithfulness.
Holy Spirit, thank You for making the way in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment