Monday, April 17, 2017

In the Wilderness: Exodus 16

God feeds the people in Exodus 16. (Click on the link and see.)

On the seventh day some of the people went out to gather, but they found none. And the Lord said to Moses, “How long will you refuse to keep my commandments and my laws? See! The Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Remain each of you in his place; let no one go out of his place on the seventh day." So the people rested on the seventh day.
Exodus 16:27-30

Just yesterday we celebrated Easter, the resurrection of our Lord. Many gathered with family and friends after worship to continue the celebration. Easter is a Sunday we set apart for worship and family... a time to breathe deep the joy of resurrection... a time to rest and build relationship with those we love. There are some who only come to worship once a year and Easter is the day. This is the most holy Sabbath day of the year.

The Lord has given you a Sabbath...

Sabbath is both a command from God and a gift. The Israelite slaves didn't know how to rest. For them all of life was work and even though they were free, they had a work mentality. There was a time I was just like them. I filled every moment with the doing of something. I spent Sundays preparing for the week, finishing my chores after church, getting all the laundry done. I cooked and cleaned and worked in the yard. By the time I placed my head down on the pillow I was spent. My entire focus was getting things done.

Most Sundays are different now. Yes, it's true you might find me in the laundry room on occasion and we often have breakfast for dinner on Sunday evenings because growing boys have to eat. I'm not like the Pharisees with a mile long list on what I can't do on the Sabbath.

I'm not sure if I can put it into words, but I guess you could say God has changed my focus. I've let go of using the day for getting things done. Instead I focus on loving God and others more. It might mean you find me snoozing on the couch while the hubby watches golf, or sitting in the boat reading while he fishes. I might plant a few things in the garden or watch the hens peck around the yard. There's no agenda as I let the work mentality go for a day.

I am learning to experience the Sabbath as His gift, and in the end all the things I think need to be done get done... or they didn't need doing in the first place. 

What about you? Where is your focus on the Sabbath? Are you working up to the last minute of the week? Do you find yourself yearning for rest? 

Ask God how He wants you to work out His Sabbath command in your life. 

Consider letting go of your work, your agenda, your to do list and focusing on Him for a day.

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Psalm 34:8

Lord, teach me how to rest in You one day a week.
Teach me to trust You for all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment