Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Beyond the Gospels: Acts

Today's Scripture: Acts 5:1-16
(Click on the link to read today's verses.)

I'll be honest. This passage of Scripture gets me every single time. It just doesn't fit with my description of God. To consider God using death to teach a lesson or use someone as an example leaves me shaking in my boots. I keep asking, "Where's the grace... the forgiveness... the second chance?"

So what do you do when Scripture doesn't fit with what you think?

How do I reconcile this with what I believe is the character and nature of God? This may sound naïve, but I just don't go there. I'm not saying God won't answer my questions about this Scripture one day, but it doesn't have to be today, or tomorrow, or ever.

We serve a God who is so much more than we can ever imagine. Just like a child doesn't always understand the ways of a parent, we don't always understand the ways of God. Still, it doesn't change who He is. It doesn't change the truth of His word.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts." --Isaiah 55:8-9  
Would we really want to serve a God who was easily understandable, always predictable, never supernatural? I'm so thankful His thoughts and ways are higher than mine.

Lord, Your name Most High describes not only Your physical power
but every aspect of who You are: Your intellect, Your understanding,
Your vision, plan, and purpose. You are Most High in every way.
Open my heart to humbly receive You as Most High, let this truth
expand my ability to worship You and trust You with all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment