Saturday, December 8, 2012

Worship through Love

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends.
You are my friends if you do what I command you. 
I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another."
John 15:12-17

Love IS the message of Christmas. We have heard that Love came down at Christmas... came in the form of Baby Jesus to fulfill the prophecies and to show us the way and to save the world. Love is one concept that everyone understands and that nearly everyone has experienced --- hopefully experiences on a regular basis. It lives in our hearts, as we sing "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling, joy of heaven to earth come down; fix in us thy humble dwelling" --- asking that love dwell in our hearts.

Especially during the Advent/Christmas season, our hearts are filled with love for our friends and family, but also for our fellow human beings, especially those in need, those less fortunate, those without opportunity, those who barely exist, those who are marginalized in any way. There are ways for us to show love and understanding, compassion and generosity if love truly dwells in our hearts. Let this time of year be our opportunity to show our love as God would have us do.

Barbara Hugghins

No comments:

Post a Comment