Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Our Father Who Art"... About Worship

Pray then like this: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed by your name. ..."
Matthew 6:9

I recall on one occasion early morning when I awakened, I sat on the side of the bed and had just set my feet on the floor and began to pray, "Our Father who art..." Suddenly my dog jumped up to my knee interrupting my praying. Needless to say, it also broke into my prayer time and I never finished praying the Lord's Prayer that morning.

But I soon thought about just the short phrase, "Our Father who art..."  over, and over, throughout the day, that thought broke into my consciousness. Just that short phrase seemed so profound as it drew my thoughts toward our all-knowing, awesome God.

I continued every morning, as it was my practice, praying "Our Father who art..." sometimes even before crawling out of bed. The prayer held such a powerful awareness of the Lord's being --- calling forth a sense of closeness.

Worship is a personal response to God. A way of communing while holding God in awe. It has been said by psychologists the first five minutes upon awakening can influence your whole day.

Thus, praying the Lord's prayer upon awakening is my way of beginning the morning by giving reverent honor to the Lord; and keeping God in Christ as an anchor in my life. It also helps keep other distractions from ruling my day.

I find this prayer is a means of comfort and encouragement. As the day begins, God restores my hope through Christ and reinforces my faith. I experience God's peace and mercy through this intimate relationship with God.

This is one of my precious experiences of worship which became one of God's teaching moments for me.

Rev. Enid Doris Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment