Monday, December 24, 2012

Worship is Gratitude

It's the week before December  and time to take down the fall decorations. I put away the pumpkins and candles. Store the leaves and garland for next year. All but the thanksgiving tree because the month is not over and there is still thanks to give.

The smell of a fresh Christmas tree hangs in the air. Ornaments are hung, the tree skirt situated. The village is lit. Our youngest sets out the nativity scene less one camel this year because the years of storing have caused him to crack.

December creeps in on a Saturday and I quietly hang crystal ornaments from the window, put the greenery over the table and get the Jesse Tree ready.



The thanksgiving tree still sits on the kitchen bar. I am reluctant to take it down. The final touches are made and I need to do something with this tree.


Pouring beans in the soup pot I think of what I should do with it...take it a part, put it on the burn pile because it is just twigs and paper. Nothing feels right. Water washes over beans for the soaking and still I delay. As I turn and begin to take apart twigs and glass, something in me shifts...and so I put the twigs back in the glass and look around.

The thanksgiving tree sits by our Jesse Tree now because who can recount God's plan...from the birth of a world to the birth of a Savior without giving thanks.



Not Mary...she couldn't contain the thanks when she visited Elizabeth.
Not angels on high as they informed the shepherds of Christ's birth.



Like them I giving thanks is an act of worship. "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."--Isaiah 9:6

stacy
(taken from her blog fumckidsministry.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment