Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Strong Women

Throughout the Bible there are many stories about women who faced adversity and remained strong in their faith, such as, Ruth and Esther. Mary, without a doubt, would have to be one of the strongest.

Mary, a beautiful young woman, betrothed to Joseph. Eagerly anticipating a wedding when suddenly the angel Gabriel appears to her and tells her she will conceive a son and call him Jesus. How can that be? Mary is a virgin. Gabriel tells her that the Holy Spirit will come upon her and the power of the Most High will overshadow her so the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.

Most women would be more than afraid, they would be terrified. But Mary is strong. She realizes how important, how life changing, this birth will be.

And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. 
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed; 
for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name."
Luke 1:46-49

How many strong women are in your life? Your mom, grandmother, sister, friend?

Do you appreciate their strength? Have you told them?

My dad always said he felt like he was living in a girl's dormitory with my mom and my two sisters, all of whom had very strong personalities. How do you think he would feel about four granddaughters and eight great-granddaughters with another on the way? All with the same strong will my mom displayed. Extremely excited! (There are a few boys thrown in there.)

Strength of character and a strong faith has carried my family through many challenges. It is what helped Mary through the birth of Jesus all the way to his death on the cross.

During this time of Advent, let us be thankful for the strong women in both the Bible and in our families. A special blessing to all of them and to all of you.

Love, Di

No comments:

Post a Comment