Monday, December 15, 2014

A View from another Crib

"His name is John."
Luke 1:63

Read Luke 1:57-80

I never really noticed him before. But he's there, in the Christmas story.
A baby named John.
The one who came to prepare the way for Jesus.

I see him in his father's arms on the day he was named.
Surely, Zechariah held him as he prophesied of the Savior to come and of his son, who would prepare the way for Him.

And I think about every new Believer.
Each one of us a baby John the Baptizer.
Each disciple called to make the way for Jesus.

"... Go therefore and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son
and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe
all that I have commanded you. ..." --- Jesus
Matthew 28:19

I find comfort in the fact John had to grow into his calling.
He began as a baby, just as each of us begin our walk with Jesus as a spiritual baby.
We have growing to do before we are able to... go therefore and make disciples.

I hear baby John give me permission to grow and learn this walk of following.
Encouraging me to feed on the Word through prayer and spiritual disciplines.
Reminding me I have a responsibility to grow and fulfill the call He has for my life.

What about you? Do you have some growing to do?
Where are you in your spiritual walk? What can you do to stimulate growth?
Do you know a more mature Believer whom you could ask to mentor you?

Be encouraged by baby John, grow into the call and privilege of preparing the way for Jesus to enter the lives of others by loving Him.

And the child grew and became strong in spirit...
Luke 1:80


Carol Weaver

No comments:

Post a Comment