Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Joseph's View at Fleeing to Egypt

Now after they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, "Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the child to destroy him." Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt, and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the Prophet, "Out of Egypt I have called my son."
Matthew 2:13-15

I, Joseph, am a simple man and never expected to be involved in so many spectacular events: the birth of baby Jesus in a manger, the celestial display with angels, the visit of shepherds and kings. The adoration and adulation was overpowering.

Now the Lord has come to me in a dream and told me to take Mary and the baby to Egypt, a place I have only heard of. On very short notice, we have been asked to go to a foreign land where we are unfamiliar with the language, food, and customs. This will be a very arduous trip through difficult terrain with less than ideal transportation arrangements. We will be immigrants with no contacts, no family, no housing, no job? How will we manage?

As we travel through the night, through wind and sand, with very little travel provisions, we wonder what we will face and how long we will be required to be away from home. I am charged with the protection and safety of Mary and the Baby and I do not feel confident that I can cope with what is required of me. What will sustain me?

Then I am reminded that the Lord is with us; His steadfast love and care will sustain us. He will surely provide for us. I will trust in His goodness and mercy.

Barbara Hugghins

No comments:

Post a Comment