Tuesday, December 2, 2014

God's Timing

"...But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!"
Luke 1:43-45

When did you last pause to recognize God's timing in the events of your life? I can't help but think of timing when I read Elizabeth and Zechariah's story. We all go through life planning and perfecting the next event or the next to-do on our list. We get wrapped up in the details of such plans and fight to control the timeline and manner in which those things are done. I am guilty of taking matters into my own hands so they get done to my liking, to my expectations. The truth is that sometimes God has other plans, far better than we could make on our own.

As I read Elizabeth's story, I'm reminded that God's time table and method does not have to conform to our expectations. Elizabeth had enormous faith in God her entire life, even though she was sad about not being able to conceive. Her story reminds us that we should never underestimate God's tremendous love for us. Even though Elizabeth was barren, God caused her to conceive. Our God is a God of surprises! Sometimes he teaches us with a miracle and our life is changed forever. 

Things worked out for Elizabeth even better than she could have planned and the truth is that God is in control of every situation. Like Elizabeth, we too, must be patient and wait for God to work in his way and in his time.

Kristen Bellar

No comments:

Post a Comment