Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 49

Resurrection and beyond...

John 21:15-23 NIV84
When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"
Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?"
Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"

Who did Jesus question after breakfast? What name did He use?

Just as Simon Peter returned to fishing, Jesus addressed him with the name he had as a fisherman: Simon son of John. Peter (the rock) had crumbled under pressure --- three denials given --- now he is given three opportunities for restoration. How did Jesus respond to Peter's declarations of love?

Jesus met Peter where he was and gave him a command after each affirmation of love, ending with the ultimate command: Follow me! Each relationship with Jesus is personal; to Him and to the Believer. Can you identify times in your life when you have denied Jesus? Have you allowed Him to approach you for restoration? Imagine Jesus asking you: ________, do you love Me? What is your response?

Lord, You are a personal Savior who gives a personal call. Thank You for Your interest in me and our relationship. Thank You for working to restore what has been broken by my unfaithfulness. Thank You for not leaving me where You found me. Help me to stay focused on You, and not concern myself with how others follow You. My path of discipleship is about me and You, not anyone else.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...
Hebrews 12:2 NIV84

No comments:

Post a Comment