Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 26

His arrest and crucifixion...

John 18:2-9 NIV84
Now Judas, who betrayed him, knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. 
Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"
"Jesus of Nazareth," they replied.
"I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.
Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?"
And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."
"I told you that I am he," Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go." This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: "I have not lost one of those you gave me."

Read the first paragraph again. Imagine the scene: the sights, sounds, smells, emotions... What did this place represent to Jesus and His twelve closest disciples?

Judas --- part of Jesus's inner circle --- betrayed the Rabbi, leading the enemy into a place of personal refuge for Jesus and His disciples. How do you think Jesus felt in this moment, even though He knew it was going to happen? What about the other disciples? How does this scene make you feel?

Jesus confronted the mob head on --- Who is it you want? --- He was in control even as He was arrested. What happened when Jesus revealed who He was? How does His display of power make you see this scene differently? See Jesus differently?

Father God, it is hard to imagine the betrayal and arrest of Your Son as being Your will. Help me to remember Your sovereignty in every circumstance, especially when I feel betrayed by You. Remind me that You are trustworthy and are working for good, even in my suffering.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment