Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Revelation

Today's Scripture: Revelation 8
(Click on the link to read the verses.)

I arrive near the end of this reading weary. I've combed the section more than once for some nugget of hope to offer. I'm looking hard at the page to recognize Jesus somewhere in the midst of the mayhem. And then the last verse,
 Then I looked, and I heard an eagle crying with a loud voice as it flew directly overhead, “Woe, woe, woe to those who dwell on the earth, at the blasts of the other trumpets that the three angels are about to blow!”--vs. 13
We are not finished yet. Tomorrow's reading will bring three more trumpet blasts signaling something terrible for those who dwell on earth.

It gives me the same feeling when I read the newspaper or watch the evening news. So I don't. Most days you'll find me happily oblivious to what's going on in the headlines. I just avoid it all together.

I've done the same with these passages for a long time and if you want to know the truth... I could skip all this terrible too, but I'm not. Though I don't really understand it all, I'm pushing forward and holding on to the truth of Jesus. If this is God's plan, then it will be for my good... for your good... for the good of the entire world... What God allows, He uses.
 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.--Romans 8:28
Father God, as darkness of all kinds seems to be taking over the world
keep me mindful of Your promise through Jesus:
"I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness,
but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment