Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Revelation

Today's Reading: Revelation 3:14-22

This message to Laodecia makes me shutter a bit. God's Word is clear. He would rather you be hot or cold. Not lukewarm. No, lukewarm is spewed out of His mouth... the word in Greek means vomit. Ughh! What a horrible picture and it has often left me wondering why? Why lukewarm... why not the cold?

You might get an even clearer picture if you can remember the last time you drank something lukewarm. What was your reaction to lukewarm coffee or room temperature water on a hot day? Lukewarm is not just about taste. Believers can develop a lukewarm attitude when it comes to our faith journeys. We can go about the activities without engaging our heart in the matter.

If I know one thing at all... I know I do not want to be lukewarm! What about you? Do you find yourself lukewarm? Have you developed a nonchalant attitude when it comes to the things of God? Recognizing this is half the battle. Begin today to do what it takes to become more than lukewarm.

 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God,  who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher,  which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me.-2 Timothy 1: 6-12

Lord, reveal any lukewarm attitudes in my heart when it comes to faith.
Fan afresh the flame of the Spirit in my life. I want to burn hot for You
and not the things of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment