Friday, October 21, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Revelation

Today's Link: Revelation 6:1-9
(Read the Scripture by clicking on the link.)

The world we live in looks a lot like John's description. Lack of peace, violence, famine, and death run rampant. We hear of children's lives taken by wild beasts at theme parks and Believers choosing death over denying their faith. This is the world we live in and at times I think its getting worse. Feelings of hopelessness can creep in from all sides.

Take a look at the first part of this reading once more.
Now I watched when the Lamb opened one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures say with a voice like thunder,“Come!”  And I looked, and behold, a white horse! And its rider had a bow, and a crown was given to him, and he came out conquering, and to conquer.--vs. 1-2
The very first words give us reason for hope. Do you see who opened what seems horrible? Jesus, the Lamb, is the one who opens the seals. And it gives me hope and assurance to know if He allows it, opens it, He plans to use it. He'll use it for our good and the good of others.

Once I drove home from a funeral, tears sliding down my cheeks and cried out in the quiet of my car, "WHAT A WASTE!" God answered me in the moment with something I'll never forget. Nothing in my world is wasted. I hold this truth close, in the face of terrible in this world. Nothing... not. one. single. thing. is wasted in God's creation.

Many look at this book we are reading as the key to knowing what's coming. When Christ will return. I don't know when the time will be, according to Scripture no one does. But I do know this... with every passing day we are one day closer. May He find us faithful upon His return. Trusting God knows what He's doing even when we don't understand. May He discover us full of hope in the Lamb, the One who takes away the sin of the world!

Lord, You alone have the power and authority over the last days,
bless me with the faith to face these days with hope in You.
Remind me You are the Prince of Peace no matter the circumstances.
Fill me with eager expectation for Your coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment