Friday, February 10, 2017

Back to the Beginning: Genesis 27:20-46

Today's Scripture: Genesis 27:20-46
Turn to it in your Bible or click the reference above to read on BibleGateway.com.

When I was little, I remember thinking my family was the only one that was a mess. I felt like everyone around me had the perfect life, and somehow my family had missed the boat. I would ask my mom why we couldn’t just be like The _____’s, and she would try to explain to me that I was only seeing the surface, there is no perfect family. Sure, I thought. 

Well, here I am as an adult and wouldn’t you know, she was right! I have yet to meet one perfect family… We are all a mess. And while God chooses to love us anyway, there are still consequences for our actions.

Manipulation, haste, deceit, theft, jealousy, hatred, revenge… and not one mention of God. Should we be surprised that this family made an absolute mess of a blessing? When the costs are counted for their actions did anyone really come out as the winner?

Each one was seeking to fulfill their own selfish desires, but they were left with a wave of consequences. Isaac ended up cursing the very son he was trying to bestow a blessing upon; Esau, with no value for his birthright from the beginning, left with nothing but hatred for his brother and a vengeful heart; Jacob had to leave behind his inheritance to flee for his life; and Rebekah lost both of her sons. What a mess!

Thank you God, for not letting the messes we make get in the way of Your will. Help us to see that choosing to act on the desires of the flesh will always lead to failure and a trail of consequences to clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment