Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Back to the Beginning: Genesis 26

No Bible close by? Click on the link to read Genesis 26.

Like Father, Like Son

If this were a movie, we must have hit rewind. Hadn’t Abraham shared his experience with his son Isaac? Like one of those life lessons parents like to pass along, and afterwards they have a big laugh because of how completely insane it was? 

Apparently not because Isaac jumps head first into the exact same lie! Just like his dad did in chapter 20, Isaac tells the men his wife is his sister because he is afraid. And it worked just as well for Isaac as it did for Abraham... not at all.

When will we learn that letting fear drive our words and actions is never a wise thing to do?

Thankfully, that is not the only similarity Isaac shares with his father. After a series of events, Abimelech approaches Isaac hoping to make peace. When Isaac questions his motive, he replies, “We saw clearly that the Lord was with you”.

I can imagine people had the same thing to say about Abraham.

Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him,
keeping my commands, my decrees, and my instructions” Genesis 26:5

What an exceptional example to follow. No one is perfect, and mistakes will be made. Sometimes the same silly mistake is passed on from one generation to the next, but where is your heart?  

Can others see clearly the Lord is with you?

Lord Jesus, bless me with a clear understanding of my parents and family,
so I do not fall into the same sins they did, passing them on to my children.
The only thing I want to pass on to the next generation
is an exceptional faithfulness to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment