Thursday, June 16, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Timothy

Today's Scripture: 1 Timothy 3:8-16
Read today's passage. Click the link above or open your Bible.

Paul writes Timothy this letter to encourage him to teach the people the appropriate behavior for the household of God: godliness. He also reminds him of the source of godliness, which he calls a mystery:

Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great:
He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.
1 Timothy 3:16

The mystery to living a godly life: The gospel of Jesus Christ.

Something mysterious happens in our spirits, in our lives, when we take hold of and walk by the the gospel (or when it takes hold of us). Because you see, we can't do anything in and of ourselves to make ourselves godly or holy. It's something only His Spirit does in us when we truly believe and trust in the truth of Jesus.

The more we pursue Him, His truth, His Word, His Way, the more we are supernaturally and mysteriously changed. I call it weird. I've experienced weird changes within myself. Changes so far from my natural bent I've questioned them along the way.

The first change I remember catching me off guard was the desire to approach elderly women at church (ladies I didn't know) and hug them. This may not seem odd to you but it was to me. When the thought entered my head I audibly gasped, took a step back and thought, I don't hug. In my flesh, for my whole life up to this point, I had a very large personal space. I'm talking 6-8 feet. Unless I knew them very well (like family), I didn't hug people. During conversation, if someone stepped into my personal space, I naturally backed away from them. This desire to hug older women I didn't know and where it came from was a great mystery to me. I resisted the urge at first, but His Spirit, being patient and kind, slowly transformed me into a hugger! Not only that, I'm now one who readily tells brothers and sisters in Christ: I love you. Also something I would have never done before. And the weirder part to me? I really mean it. I feel it!

This was the first radical transformation I noticed, I could share many more. Life just gets weirder every day. But I know He is the source of change, not me. Each strange transformation is confirmation of belief. Confirmation of His Spirit's presence at work in me, moving me toward godliness. I can't fully express just how weird it is... it is a great mystery...

Maybe you have a story too. Share your first recognition of mysterious transformation which sprung from your belief in the gospel in the Comment Box below. If you don't see the box, click the post title (whether you receive this via email or are reading it on the blog site) scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions.

Father God, I can't thank You enough for the mystery
by which You captured my heart with the gospel
and how You continue to move me closer and closer
to the godliness of Christ Jesus. Continue to grow me
by Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment