Monday, June 13, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Timothy

Read today's Scripture: 1 Timothy 1:12-20
[Open up your Bible or open up the link above.]

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance:
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners ---
of whom I am the worst.
1 Timothy 1:15

Knowing what I have been saved from. What lavish undeserving grace has been poured out on me in the name of His love. I embrace this verse as my own... I am the worst...

I don't say this in false humility or as an attention-getter or to wallow in self-pity. You see, the closer I draw to Jesus and His Light, the more darkness I see in me. The more I see my sin, the more I see His grace, love, mercy, compassion.

The more I see what He's done for me, the more graciously humble I become, before Him and before others. So thankful for His mercy. So able to identify with the lost. So longing to help others see.

You know, He tells us...

...in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3 NIV84

Embracing self as the worst of the sinners He came to save, enables us to humbly embrace others in their sin.

The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly,
along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 1:14

How has His grace and love changed you? are you more gracious to the sins of others? or less so?

I believe when we see ourselves in His Light, we can't help but say... I am the worst...

Father God, I'm humbled by Your grace poured out on me.
Thank You for forgiveness and healing.
Use me to reveal Your grace to others.
In Jesus's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment