Thursday, June 9, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: Thessalonians

Today's Scripture: 2 Thessalonians 3:6-18
[Click the link above to read the verses online.]

We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive.
They are not busy; they are busybodies.
2 Thessalonians 3:11

God gives us a hard word through Paul. He warns us about busybodies and tells us we should all be busy.

In the early church, the community depended on one another like family. Working for one another, sharing their food, supporting each other as needs arose. Within today's congregations, we are not so dependent on each other. Most have their own homes and food, so we can't really withhold meals from those who won't work.

But I wonder... are we all doing the work God calls us to do? Are we actively exercising the spiritual gifts we've been given for the building up of the church? Are we truly members? doing the work God created for us to do before the foundation of the world?

I believe if we occupy ourselves with listening to the Lord, obeying His call on our life, we don't have the desire or inclination to be a busybody who causes disruption.

My experience with following Jesus has kept my life full. He captured my heart when my children were five years old and younger. I was a stay at home mom, but Jesus began calling me to work in the church. Little by little, as my kids grew, the work God called me to also grew. When my children eventually went off to college, I heard other moms talk about not knowing what to do with their time and suffering empty-nest syndrome. All I could think was, I don't have that problem, God has been keeping me plenty busy.

If your finding yourself with idle time on your hands, not knowing what to do with yourself, maybe it's time you sought God about the work He has waiting for you. I pray you find the work He has for you in the church, not only for His glory, but heaven knows, we don't need any busybodies running around the church stirring things up. :)

Father God, forgive me for my tendency to be idle and depend on the work of others.
Forgive me for every opportunity I've missed to be the member of Christ's body
You call me to be. I'm ready to work. I do not want to be a busybody.
I want a busy body.

No comments:

Post a Comment