Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Songs of Praise: Psalms 4-5

Psalms 4-5
Read today's psalms in your Bible or online by clicking the link above.

Both psalms begin with the psalmist calling on God to listen up: 

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! ...
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
Psalm 4:1 ESV

Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning.
Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, 
for to you do I pray.
Psalm 5:1-2 ESV

Sometimes, some days, we just feel unheard.
We walk His way, but things go wrong.
We wonder where He is.
We pray and nothing seems to change.
We want to cry out: Do You hear me?

The psalmist shows us, that's OK. His words may sound like he's demanding God to pay attention, but if you look closely you'll see his submission to God.
  • O God of my righteousness... The writer understands God alone makes him righteous, he has nothing right within himself apart from God.
  • Be gracious to me... The psalmist is not reminding God how to act, he's reminding his own heart who God is.
  • ...my King and my God, for to you do I pray... He puts himself under God's authority with these words. The psalmist cries out to Him for help because he knows there is no other source for help.

Each of these attitudes depict the heart of the truly righteous. Knowing we are only made right by faith in Christ, apart from Him we are all wrong. The righteous know they are dependent on His grace, because all is grace. And the righteous are fully submitted to His lordship in their lives. He alone our source of help. He alone is the One we run to with our need. The One we need to hear us!

The righteous know the Righteous One will not leave them to their own devices.

For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
you cover him with favor as with a shield.
Psalm 5:12 ESV

Read through the two psalms again and list the blessings the psalmist received by coming before His Lord in prayer.

Do you find yourself in need of these blessings?

They are yours, when you surrender to Him. Call out to Him in prayer. Bring your heart to Him. 

Lord, I come to You as my God, my only Hope, my Salvation.
In Your grace, hear me and answer me.
I wait for Your blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment