Friday, August 19, 2016

Beyond the Gospels: James

Today's Scripture: James 1:9-18
[Open up the Word by clicking the link above. Or get your Bible.]

...each person is tempted when they are dragged away
by their own evil desire and enticed.
James 1:14

James gives us no room to blame others. We are each tempted by our own evil desires. Not by the devil. Not by our spouse. Not by our friends. 

Temptation comes right from the evil inside of us. We drag ourselves into sin.

Don't be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down
from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change
like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth,
that we might be a kind of first fruits of all he created.
James 1:16-18

Don't deceive yourself by blaming others. Only good things come from God and He never changes. He has given us birth through the word of truth, and it is that truth which keeps us from deceiving ourselves. Taking full responsibility for the temptations and falls in our lives.

He calls us to recognize where the problem lies. In us. Not others. And He calls us to choose Truth. Jesus. Following Him and bearing fruit in His name.

"...I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me
and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me
you can do nothing. ..." ---Jesus
John 15:5 ESV

Father God, You give good gifts and reveal truth.
Let me receive this truth about temptation as a good gift.
Apart from You I can do nothing. Not even resist temptation.
Help me bear fruit for You. Purify my desires in Jesus's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment