Saturday, February 20, 2016

Journey to Resurrection... I Am

Remember Moses and the burning bush... standing barefoot on hot sand as God calls him to leadership? He's given all kinds of reasons why he can't be the one God is looking for... he's a fugitive... a stutterer... ill-equipped for the job. He's making excuses and God will have none of it. This is when He asks the question, "Who will I tell them sent me when they ask what is his name?"
 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.  This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”--Exodus 3:14
Jesus uses the same name as He challenges the Jews belief system. He talks of glorifying God and how Abraham rejoiced at seeing it all unfold. The Jews don't get it. "How can you have seen Abraham, you're not even fifty years old?"
 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.--John 8:58-59
If you're not careful you'll miss the connection and wonder why the Jews were stoning mad. Jesus claimed the same name as God did with Moses. Three simple letters make up the name God gives himself throughout scripture-- I AM.

We'll be focusing on this tomorrow during praise and prayer. God revealing himself to us as the great I Am. Throughout His word He reminds us of who He is...almighty, light, timeless. He is always available to us, always faithful. It is a sort of fill in the blank name isn't it? At least in our own language.

I Am _____________.

There are times along the way when we've been focused on the issue... some crisis that seems to have no resolve. We worry and work to find the solution when maybe in the face of it all we just might remind ourselves who God is... I Am. In the midst of the broken, the sick, the lost He claims... I Am Mender... Healer... Redeemer... Friend.

I Am Who I Am. When we wrap our minds around the thought, we are overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment