Saturday, December 12, 2015

Sharing Joy

"And the angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, "Be not afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."
---Luke 2:10-11

Each year as I prepare for Christmas there are some things that are constant. My preparation usually begins before Advent with the anticipation of the enjoyment I'll share with family and friends. I begin making lists of the things I need to do --- gifts, menus, Christmas card addresses, decorations needed --- all the things that will make the holidays pleasurable.

This year I remember when my daughter was having her fifteenth birthday. Together we planned a party and she was given the task of sending out the invitations. A day before the party I asked her how many friends she expected and she looked at me in horror. She had forgotten to send out the invitations. The most important element of the celebration could have been missing --- people to share in the celebration. Of course, the telephone saved the party.

Join me this year in not forgetting the most important aspect of Advent. Along with preparing for the season, I intend to be more diligent in sharing the joy of the celebration with as many people as possible. Each day of Advent let's join together to make sure our family, friends, and even strangers know that we are filled with the expectation of the real meaning of Christmas.

Along with our gifts and Christmas correspondence, we can make telephone calls and visits to shut-ins in our church, make a visit to the hospital, offer to read a story at the Readiness School, run an errand for someone who is ill, drop some money in the Salvation Army collection, smile to a weary clerk at Wal-Mart. Be creative! Then we can sing with the angel: We bring you tidings of great joy, A Savior is born and He shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Prince of Peace, Emmanuel (God with us).

Carol Crawford---2003

Fill me anew with the joy of Your salvation!
Inspire me with ways to share the joy with others
this Advent Season.

Who can you bring joy to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment