Thursday, December 10, 2015

God Speaks

When I awaken early on a spring or summer morning and listen to the birds singing in the trees outside my window, God speaks to me of peace. When I walk through the woods and experience the quietness and calm, the turning leaves of autumn, the scampering of squirrels and critters, God speaks to me of peace. When I wander under clear blue skies and into mountains filled with carved-into-rock homes of ancient peoples, God speaks to me of peace.

When I hear children's delightful voices sing simple songs filled with fun and exuberance, God speaks to me of joy. When we baptize a beautiful and innocent baby who looks up into our face as the holy water trickles over their little head, God speaks to me of joy. When I look at each stained glass window, some nearly 100 years old, some dedicated to the early families of our church, some depicting Bible stories or leaders of our faith, God speaks to me of joy.

When I remember my dear husband and parents and so many friends who are no longer with me, God speaks to me of love. When my family gathers for birthdays, holidays, or special events, and we celebrate together, God speaks to me of love. When I spend time with any one of my nine beloved grandchildren and we share secrets, remembrances, fun times together, God speaks to me of love.

As we celebrate this Advent and Christmas season, may God grant you and yours peace, joy, and love.

Barbara Hugghins---2010

Father God, open my ears to the many ways You speak to me
of peace, joy, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment