Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Back to the Beginning: Genesis 11:10-12:9

Today's verses are found in Genesis 11:10-12:9. (Click on the link if you don't have your Bible near.)
Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and together they set out from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to Canaan. But when they came to Haran, they settled there. --vs. 31
Terah the father of Abram (Abraham) had a journey to make. He took his grandson Lot, Abram and his wife, and set out for Canaan. Yet, he didn't complete the journey. Something happened and I wonder... Why did He stop? Why settle in Haran? Why not keep going to the place you intended to go?

Maybe the journey was tougher than He realized. Could it be the land was harsh or food was scarce? Maybe they were too weary to travel one more step. No matter the cause, Terah settled for Haran. He never reached Canaan.

When it comes to my faith journey, there are times I've done the same. I'm Terah settling for a place along the way instead of pressing on to the end. Because sometimes the hills are just too steep and taking another step seems impossible.
 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
2Timothy 4:7-8
The only journey worth finishing. The one where settling is never the option. Is the journey of faith.

Consider where you are in your journey of faith. Have you settled somewhere along the way? If so, rise up and get going! He is waiting at the finish line to place a crown of righteousness upon your head.

Lord, don't allow me to get stuck on my journey of faith.
Continue to prod and prompt. Reveal when I've settled in one place too long.
Your Word tells me You will finish what You began in me.
Keep me focused on You and where You want to lead me next.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you
will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment