Monday, January 16, 2017

Back to the Beginning: Genesis 11:1-9

Today's reading is found in Genesis 11:1-9. (Click on the link to read the verses.)
Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth. --vs. 4
At first glance building a tower doesn't seem so bad. Our cities are full of sky scraping buildings and I always marvel at the workmanship of something so tall. The building wasn't the problem, it was the builders... the reason behind the building. They weren't building a tower to heaven to see God more clearly or point others to Him. No, the builders built for two reasons: to make a name for themselves and to protect their community.

If you look closely it seems pride and fear are the very motivation behind the construction. I'm struck by the thought that I'm a lot like the builders at times. I find myself motivated to make a name for myself. I want to protect my family and community, to keep them together. And what does all the work get me? Nothing but babble. Pride and fear lead us to a place where understanding ourselves and others is impossible.

Is there some place in your life where misunderstanding seems to be the norm? Ask God to reveal His plan for construction in the matter and let go of your pride and fear.

Lord, reveal pride and fear in my life. Move my heart to glorify You in all I do
and trust You with those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment