Friday, October 24, 2014

My Faith Story

My faith story... I haven't shared my faith story with many people. It's not one of those long testimonies about how I was headed down the wrong path and God intervened. I'm thankful for that, and I'm always amazed to hear the wonderful and mysterious ways God works. My story is very special when I think about it though and it goes way back in my life.

When I was just seven years old, my brother, who was two years younger, became ill. My mom took him to the doctor that day and they said he had the flu. Later that night, my parents took him to the ER because he was very ill. He had spinal meningitis. I stayed in the car and slept until I was taken to my great-grandmother's house. I woke up early that morning and I thought someone was talking to me. It was a man's voice and He said, "I'm taking him to live with me." Now, I tell you, I had no idea if I had dreamed this or what. I never shared this... I was only seven. Later that morning, my brother passed from this earth to Heaven.

Years went by, but I never forgot those words. I can hear them still today. As my faith grew and I accepted Christ as my Savior, I knew from whom those words came. In January 2007, I woke up around midnight, noticing Todd was awake. In our half-awake conversation, I learned my 36 year-old husband wasn't feeling well, with chest pain, arm pain, nausea, clamminess... Yes, that very same voice clearly said, "He's having a heart attack." Men can be very stubborn, but I finally did convice him to go to the hospital (I think I said, either you go with me or I will call an ambulance to get you!). Yes, he had a heart attack and is doing great today because of His voice.

When God speaks to you, there is no doubt that He's real. You never have to question His existence. It's never been about if I believe. It was only about finding the right place to serve Him. I found that in the choir when John Mark Lester asked me to join him for practice with Jerry Compton. I found that with VBS, Sunday School, and children's music with Stacy Boyer. I found that with the Methodist Readiness School Board with Tina Sorrell. I found that with Wednesday Night Live and the education committee with Barbara Hugghins. I've found that with my "Out of the Boat" family.

Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed
When others say I'll never be enough
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world.


Brenda Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment