Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Trusting the Basics

Read John 14:1-14.
If your Bible isn't close by, click the reference above and read it online.

Rev. Enid Shepard taught and served Communion last Sunday. She titled the message, based on the passage you just read, Trust in the Basics.

Jesus told His disciples:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. ..."
John 14:1 NIV84

Do you trust in this basic? 
How often is your heart troubled? And what do you do with it?
Do you trust Him with all your problems? emotional? relational? job related? financial? 
Do you trust Him with whatever is causing you anxiety? stirring up your heart?

Jesus told His disciples:

"I am the way and the truth and the life. ..."
John 14:6 NIV84

Do you believe that He is the Way? the only Way?
Do you follow His Way and truth in your everyday ordinary life?
Is He your source of life?
Is He the one you go to for strength, rest, renewal?

Jesus told His disciples:

"...Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father?..."
John 14:9 NIV84

When you look at Jesus, do you see Father God?
Do you believe, trust, that Jesus did only what His Father told Him? that He was the perfect representation of the Father?

Jesus told His disciples:

"... I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. 
He will do even greater things than these..."
John 14:12 NIV84

Do you trust this basic? That with faith in Him you can do what He did? heal the sick? calm a storm? raise the dead?
What about doing GREATER things? 
Does your life reflect that kind of faith and trust?

I don't know about you, but I have some working out of my faith to do when it comes to trusting the basics.

Jesus also told His disciples:

"... And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask for anything in my name, and I will do it."
John 14:13-14 NIV84

Join me in asking Jesus to grow our trust and faith in Him, that we might glorify His name and that of the Father.

Lord Jesus, You know the steps of faith and trust I need to take to grow in the basics of discipleship. Show me where to begin. Show me the Way. Open my eyes that I may see and understand what it means to truly trust You. Bless me with the boldness to obey.

Carol Weaver

No comments:

Post a Comment