Sunday, February 17, 2013

Day 8

In and around the Temple...

Matthew 21:28-32 NIV84
"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work today in the vineyard.'
"'I will not,' he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
"Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, 'I will, sir,' but he did not go.
"Which of the two did what his father wanted?"
"The first," they answered.
Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. ..."

Jesus tells another parable to those who questioned His authority. What did the father say to the sons? How did they respond?

Consider the two sons. In which one do you see yourself? Do you tell your Father "yes" but not follow through? Or do you say "no" but then change your mind and obey?

Today, be conscious of your own words and actions. Do your actions reflect who you are called to be in Christ? Do you live a life of integrity that pleases God?

Father God, You are not interested in lip-service, You desire a repentant obedient heart. Show me the places I fail to be who I say I am, and bless me with the humility to turn and do all that You command.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Psalm 51:17 NIV84

1 comment:

  1. How many times have my hurtful words failed to reflect my Christian heart? Sadly my friends, family or associates might be able to tell you. Most of the time, I try to absorb interruptions in my routine, my work and plans. I make changes and try to be flexible and "see" the bigger picture and the greater and sometimes more immediate need.

    But honestly, sometimes I just lose it, then I'm too quick to respond to my frustrations and not kindly. Today's prayer reminds me to cling to the Christian heart Jesus gave me and exercise its' power so I can yank back my reactions before they get loose and bury them in the peace Jesus' love and sacrifice have given me.

    Not only will that preserve someone else's feelings, but perhaps it will reveal the strength of the Christian spirit that someone else needs to see.

    This is part of my personal quest for a "life that pleases God".

    ReplyDelete